The life of a FABULOUS fat girl and her struggle with PCOS, Diabetes, IC and Pudendal Neuralgia and her journey through weight loss surgery.

Monday, February 1, 2010

3 A.M.

A good friend of mine who also blogs uses song titles as her blog posts and the sonh 3 A.M. By Matchbox 20 was appropriate for this entry. Thanks for the inspiration sweetie!
There's a line that says, "It's 3 A.M. It must be morning." Well, yes it is 3 in the morning and my wonderful husband just had to run to our friend's house and get me medicine for my neubulizer (breathing) machine for asthma. My medicine was expired amd I apparently I threw it out. My lungs were extremely tight and my expired inhaler wasn't cutting it. I had noticed lately I was wheezing more than normal and my chest was tight lately, I chalked it up to the cold weather. Then the other day I had a really bad coughing fit in the shower, almost to the point of passing out. Scared both of us but I figured it was a fluke until it happened again. This time I was just sitting on the couch and laughing.
Red flag went off in my head. Started to panic, probably exacerbating the situation. I tried hot beverages. Nothing. Tried the recently expired inhaler. Nothing.
Sent my girlfriend a text because her son also uses a breathing machine and asked her what the name of the medicine you use with the machine was so I could call the doctor and get a prescription. She also went to nursing school, so I figured she'd be a big help.
She turned out to be a bigger help than I thought. Turns out her son and I take the same medicine and she could give me 4 vials to get me through the next day or so. I was/am eternally grateful.
My poor husband, who was almost asleep on the couch, but was fighting sleep to try and keep me company just in case we needed to go to the E.R., ran out to get me the medicine at, you guessed it, 3 A.M.
He was so good about it. No complaints. Think he stayed very calm so as not to set me off on a tailspin. Plus, without insurance, the ER visit would've buried us.
People wonder why I'm for a better healthcare system and this is an example of why. For the two of us monthly the insurance is $1200. I bring home $1000 in unemployment. So after rent, car payment, car/rental insurance, groceries and utilities, even including my husband's pay, we're stretched thin. We even put off getting our satellite fixed and don't have tv until my free cable through my new job kicks in. It's ridiculous.
I've read articles where they say after luxuries, the first thing people eliminate when they have money problems is health insurance! That's sick. We shouldn't have to do that! We're one of the wealthiest countries in the world and millions are still without proper/adequate health care! Ridiculous.
It's sad that I pray nightly that neither of us gets seriously ill because we couldn't afford it. Something needs to change in the healthcare industry and fast. Luckily 60 days after I start my job, we'll have health insurance. So let's pray for the next 11 weeks, we have no major issues.

1 comment:

musiclover said...

I'm so glad that your friend was there to help you out. Your right, healthcare shouldn't be so hard to get. I'm glad your okay though. Hugs!